Chicago was hard hit during the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic—especially in communities of color.
Mayor Lightfoot and her team acted quickly; securing PPE, opening testing centers and mobilizing the city’s resources to bend the curve.
- Created the “Racial Equity Rapid Response team” to flatten the infection curve and support disproportionately impacted communities.
- Created “Protect Chicago Plus,” the most equitable big city vaccine distribution program in the country.
- Opened 11 free testing centers on the South and West Sides.
- Secured 18 million units of PPE for Chicago healthcare facilities and distributed 4 million free masks to communities.
- Invested $56 million to establish a citywide COVID Contact Tracing Corps.
Explore More Issues
PAID FOR BY LIGHTFOOT FOR CHICAGO