Mayor Lightfoot is committed to providing our city’s children with the resources and support they need to lead healthy, successful lives.
Under Mayor Lightfoot’s leadership, Chicago Public Schools (CPS):
- Committed to hiring hundreds of additional school social worker positions and school nurses, as well as additional special education case managers in CPS as part of a new 5-year contract.
- Reached a record high graduation rate and a record low high school dropout rate in 2020; and one of the highest FAFSA completion rates in the country (89.46%) as well as $1 billion in scholarships for CPS high school graduates in 2021.
- Distributed more than 42 million meals to families in need since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Secured $145 million in Head Start and Early Head Start awards to provide high-quality early-learning services to Chicago’s children.
- Fought for a science-based approach to dealing with the pandemic so that our kids can remain safely in the classroom.