Mayor Lightfoot dedicated her career to ensuring our police department is accountable to our communities.
Since taking office, her administration has:
- Negotiated accountability and transparency reforms in police supervisors’ contracts, including requiring the investigation of anonymous complaints, preventing the destruction of disciplinary records, and protecting complainants against retaliation.
- Introduced a comprehensive civilian oversight plan for the Chicago Police Department which would create a seven-member civilian commission that works with the Mayor, CPD, the Civilian Office of Police Accountability and the Police Board to ensure policy accountability and public safety.
- Worked with City Council to introduce legislation that will create an online database of complaints against police officers since the year 2000 to make the department more transparent and accountable.
- Developed and implemented sweeping new annual officer training requirements, including scenario-based use of force training.
- Partnered with community-based organizations to deliver civilian-taught implicit bias training to all officers.
- Overhauled and reformed police vehicle pursuit and warrant policies.
Explore More Issues
PAID FOR BY LIGHTFOOT FOR CHICAGO